The presence of indoor air pollutants decreases the air quality in a home, and it can have numerous negative health effects. These adverse health effects can range from headaches and respiratory problems and even death, in severe cases. You may experience immediate symptoms of poor air quality, which will alert you to potential issues—but at times, symptoms won’t appear for many years, after long-term damage has already been done. As such, it’s important to actively take measures to monitor and improve your home’s indoor air quality. Here are some of the most common air pollutants found in your home to keep an eye out for.
Mold thrives in damp environments and commonly grows in bathrooms, attics, and basements or around leaky pipes, roofs, and windows. As mold spreads, it doesn’t just harm the surface it grows on—it also releases spores into the air. These spores can be harmless, but certain types of mold release dangerous spores that can result in allergic reactions. Symptoms of mold inhalation include headaches, worsening asthma, eye and throat irritation, fever, and trouble breathing.
To prevent mold from growing in your home, make sure to properly ventilate your home and keep moisture levels within a healthy range. In addition, you should repair any leaks as soon as possible to prevent water from pooling in areas of your home.
Carbon monoxide is an indoor air pollutant commonly found in homes—especially older ones. Nearly impossible to notice without a detector, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. When inhaled, it prevents one’s body from using oxygen normally. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, dizziness, and even death if concentrations are high enough. Common sources of carbon monoxide in the home include heating equipment fueled by natural gas or kerosene; wood or coal stoves; ovens; and engines that run on gasoline or diesel. To ensure that this harmful pollutant isn’t present in your home, install a carbon monoxide detector and refrain from using combustion appliances without vents indoors.
Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, are airborne chemicals that are found in many common household products, such as cleaning agents, aerosol sprays, paints, and glues. When inhaled, VOCs can result in symptoms such as eye, nose, and throat irritation; liver or brain damage; and various types of cancer. To avoid the detrimental effects that VOCs can have on one’s health, properly ventilate your home and avoid using products that contain VOCs as much as possible.
A great way to improve your home’s air quality and decrease the presence of harmful pollutants is to install an effective ventilating system. By ventilating your home, you can flush out toxins and improve the air quality. The Pioneer Mini Split Store offers several ventilation options, including floor-, ceiling-, and wall-mounted mini splits. Our HVAC systems are easy to install and energy-efficient, and they feature attractive, sleek aesthetics. To start breathing easier, contact us about our home ventilation system options today.